MineColonies

Full Version: Barracks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it appears that these forums are brand new and the old ones are gone? My extensive search for information to sate my curiosity brings up pretty well nothing but the old videos and the new videos with no explanations on any of them.

I'm trying to figure out why the old barracks and guard system was discontinued in favor of this new (and in my opinion) inferior citizen based guard system. Right now I've quickly figured out that when a guard dies, you lose all your happiness. Guards die so easily it seems, due to the limited capabilities of the AI... so I've resorted to leaving them as Rangers at the top of a guard tower to do pretty much nothing but provide a happiness boost to the colony.

This next part needs to go in a suggestion thread, but it's really going to be dependent on what sort of responses I get to my question... but if the new system is going to stay as is, then the citizen should be hired on as a guard captain. A few basic soldiers can spawn over time, given certain requirements, to follow them around and help them out in a fight. It would go a long way to help the citizen from getting mobbed to death... or blown up by creepers for those players that have explosions turned on.

I've played 9 hours in the 1.10.2 pack and am about to try the 1.12 mod (in my own pack) to see if i'm really missing something, but if anyone can help me understand, I would appreciate it.
Hey there,

there is also the barracks system where multiple citizen can become guards.
Nevertheless if you think decreasing the happiness that much each guard death we can balance that.

(Also going to improve the AI)
You mean that the barracks, as it levels up, will be able to house more citizens which can be hired as guards? (like how a citizen hut gets plus one citizen spaces as it levels up) What about the training aspect that was there? Do guards still gain xp from being stationed at a barracks in some fashion?

I'd also like to know about the changes to the number of guards that were stationed in a tower. I could simply have three towers built, and station all three guards at one tower but that seems like a waste of resources (though I may have to plead ignorance on this one, as I have only leveled a tower to the first stage...)

The armor changes are acceptable for sure though, that was definitely a balance issue. Once the crafter worker has been added (as I saw one was brainstormed into your road map) it will reduce the tedium of maintaining all of the workers and guards equipment yourself.

I think losing happiness for a citizen death is needed, even for guards. If better AI is coming, it will probably solve the issue cause right now the guards are just attacking till death. (Even with the return health option is checked)
(18.11.2017, 23:40)Neferdias Wrote: [ -> ]You mean that the barracks, as it levels up, will be able to house more citizens which can be hired as guards? (like how a citizen hut gets plus one citizen spaces as it levels up) What about the training aspect that was there? Do guards still gain xp from being stationed at a barracks in some fashion?

I'd also like to know about the changes to the number of guards that were stationed in a tower. I could simply have three towers built, and station all three guards at one tower but that seems like a waste of resources (though I may have to plead ignorance on this one, as I have only leveled a tower to the first stage...)

The armor changes are acceptable for sure though, that was definitely a balance issue. Once the crafter worker has been added (as I saw one was brainstormed into your road map) it will reduce the tedium of maintaining all of the workers and guards equipment yourself.

I think losing happiness for a citizen death is needed, even for guards. If better AI is coming, it will probably solve the issue cause right now the guards are just attacking till death. (Even with the return health option is checked)

Exactly, barracks at level 5 with all 4 towers at level 5 will be able to give home to 20 guards. And no they only level through fighting, but the higher their barracks level the faster they level.
(19.11.2017, 17:47)Raycoms Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, barracks at level 5 with all 4 towers at level 5 will be able to give home to 20 guards. And no they only level through fighting, but the higher their barracks level the faster they level.

Oh nice, I did not even know that barracks was really implemented, as "barracks" in the wiki searchbar leads nowhere..
Is there any information on tower placement (thread or video), and details of its use?
(19.11.2017, 17:47)Raycoms Wrote: [ -> ]
(18.11.2017, 23:40)Neferdias Wrote: [ -> ]snip

Exactly, barracks at level 5 with all 4 towers at level 5 will be able to give home to 20 guards. And no they only level through fighting, but the higher their barracks level the faster they level.

Ah, that is cool. Now that I understand how the barracks works, and it does appear to me now that the new implementation is a better solution than the old system. Maintaining a barracks will for sure handle the required guard:citizen happiness ratio without the need to build an abundance of regular towers. I will need to do some testing with a leveled barracks but I will assume that each barracks tower will command a "squad" of guards instead of individually? That may be enough to stop guards from dying so easily while they are alone.

Thanks for the info Raycoms. I'm very much enjoying this mod.
(19.11.2017, 18:33)Auriel_1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19.11.2017, 17:47)Raycoms Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, barracks at level 5 with all 4 towers at level 5 will be able to give home to 20 guards. And no they only level through fighting, but the higher their barracks level the faster they level.

Oh nice, I did not even know that barracks was really implemented, as "barracks" in the wiki searchbar leads nowhere..
Is there any information on tower placement (thread or video), and details of its use?

Appologies, the WiKi is currently out of date because we're needing to merge over to a new WiKi software (the other one was really really old and not updated).
(20.11.2017, 03:15)Asherslab Wrote: [ -> ]Appologies, the WiKi is currently out of date because we're needing to merge over to a new WiKi software (the other one was really really old and not updated).

Don't worry, anyway I am not really yet into make my barracks Wink