MineColonies

Full Version: Info on Building Placement and size.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be nice to know before placing, or perhaps as you place? A new building how big an area it needs, and were the height you need to place the building item for the building to be level with the ground. For the Town hall in my world we just built, they dug 3 layers into the ground and put the floor down there, and started taking out buildings that weren't in the way of the town hall for being too close to it. x.x; And I couldn't even find in your online wiki how big a space the buildings needed to not do that. Or how high I had to place the building to prevent it from being put into the ground.
If you use the building tool it has a preview with the later levels of the build too.
That is not as helpful as you may think. I do use it, but since you can't see whats on ground level, you have to raise the level of the building up to see if it has stairs or not. Not to mention that its not at all obvious that the building tool is used for that. 3 of us playing this mod for a couple of weeks, and we all thought it was just a tool for making blocks.

I'm not really asking for that much, coding wise, for this. Just in the description of the item, or when you go into the build menu include it in the list of blocks. I much prefer raw numbers like that for planing anyway, eye balling it sucks. ^.^;;
it seems that you are starting huts construction by manualy putting the building block in the world, like any other block. 

You need to place new huts using the building tool: while the hut block is in your inventory, activate the building tool (right click),  then select the hut in the preview menu. you can use the preview controls to move the hut to see it completely in all the levels (select levels in the building tool menu as well), you can move upwards, to see the base, find a position that fits well in all levels.

After you confirm the preview, the building block will place in the world automatically.   This need to be done when placing new huts, because its more dificult to reposition with the building block already placed in the world.
(28.02.2019, 04:43)ganthor Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that you are starting huts construction by manualy putting the building block in the world, like any other block. 

You need to place new huts using the building tool: while the hut block is in your inventory, activate the building tool (right click),  then select the hut in the preview menu. you can use the preview controls to move the hut to see it completely in all the levels (select levels in the building tool menu as well), you can move upwards, to see the base, find a position that fits well in all levels.

After you confirm the preview, the building block will place in the world automatically.   This need to be done when placing new huts, because its more dificult to reposition with the building block already placed in the world.

Sometimes a building template is not set with the lowest block at ground level - the building hay have considerable underground elements or have a raised floor (town halls commonly have this). There is no indication when using the Build Tool where the original ground level was intended to be (although in most cases you can infer it).
I generally line up my building in the X-Z planes first and then raise it up to check the 'ground level', lowering it until it makes sense.
It would be hard for the developer to indicate this 'ground level' in a template as they have no knowledge of how the template was created - the Scan may have been done by someone and all ground blocks removed. It is really going to be a function of the Template creator to leave some indication.
I get what the OP means, but also can't help but thinking "just look at the preview when placing the building".

I never felt any building I placed was unclear where the floor was. Sure it takes a bit of raising/lowering sometimes, but it's not that hard to line up the pavement or door with the actual floor/ground level Wink